The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.”
1) Why does John refer to Jesus as the "Lamb of God"?
2) Before Jesus came, how was sin dealt with?
3) Do you believe there is anything else besides Jesus that can take away the sin of the world? If so, what?
4) Faith is to believe what you cannot see. The reward of faith is to what you believe. Do you think John felt this way?
Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ I have seen and I testify that this is God’s Chosen One.”
5) John would have been Jesus's cousin. Why do you suppose he said I did not know him?
6) According to Scripture, the Holy Spirit must have come and left for people in need, but John specifically states that the chosen one is the one that the Spirit came down on and didn't leave. Do you agree with this?